If you plan to use D-STAR Terminal Mode but want to be able to link to reflectors (REF, XRF, DCS, XLX), this page is for you. ICOM’s method of Terminal Mode only does callsign routing.
This page applies to all D-STAR Terminal Mode-capable radios, and it is the only method we know of that works with the IC-705 radio, and, we think, to the IC-9700. It makes use of an excellent program called “Doozy” written by David PA7LIM (who also has written BlueDV and Peanut for the digital voice community). This program currently is available only for Windows pcs.
ICOM continues to improve and extend Terminal Mode. For the latest radios that support D-STAR, they’ve made it easier to connect to the internet — either by ethernet cable directly into the radio, a built-in wifi -OR- a standard USB cable connected to a computer. For Doozy, we’ll use the USB cable.
The method described here has been tested on a 705 set to External Gateway mode and connected to a computer via USB cable. Here are the steps:
- Install the ICOM serial driver for the 705 onto your Windows PC. You can get it at https://www.icomjapan.com/support/firmware_driver/3070/ .
- On the 705, set Gateway Select to External Gateway (Advanced Manual page 15-2).
- On Windows, bring up Device Manager (one way is alternate-click on the Windows icon at bottom left, click on Run, then in Open box, type Control Panel, then click on Device Manager).
- Click right-arrow in front of Ports (COM & LPT).
- Now plug the USB cable into the Windows PC. If 705 has been put into External Gateway mode, the window should blink, and a new device will appear. Note the COM port, e.g. COM3 or COM4.
- Start the Doozy app. Below the Donate box at upper right, click the Settings (rightmost) icon.
- Enter your registered callsign – you should have created a terminal with a space in the initial box — DO NOT USE A TERMINAL WITH ACCESSPOINT BOX CHECKED.
- Next to ICOM radio, click the drop-down arrow and choose the COM port from above step, for example, COM4. Then Save.
- Hopefully when you click the Doozy’s ON button at upper left so the left side is blue, it will connect to your 705. During that connection, it will check if the callsign you entered into Doozy’s settings is indeed registered.
- Initial Test:
- Select REF, then any REF reflector, for example, REF014. For the module letter that follows the REF reflector name, select E. (This will take you to the Echo module in the REF reflector.)
- Click the Connect button so the left side is blue.
- Pick up the 705’s mike, hit PTT and say Testing…
- The reflector should have recorded your transmission and now play it back to you.